Saturday, March 23, 2013

Spring Cleaning {Parent's Refrigerator}

Hey I have awesome post for all you lovelies tonight! I had been planning on cleaning out and organizing my parents fridge for awhile, and I finally did it today! 

I have an wonderful tutorial for you below with tips and tricks!

Enjoy your start of Spring Cleaning!

I started about 1 pm this afternoon, after eating lunch and a chocolate bar {don't worry, it was Dark Chocolate, therefore I am being healthy}

This is what it looked like before I took anything out.







I took EVERYTHING out. Mind you, my parents are not so hot with throwing food away and they shove more food than is necessary in their fridge, so I removed A LOT of food. I wish I had a picture of this, but I did not take one. I threw away and poured out all the bad and expired food and then removed all the shelves. 
I put all the shelves and drawers in the bathtub and ran hot water and poured in dish soap, laundry detergent and all-purpose cleaner. All 3 cleaners are Natural & Organic & from Whole Foods. 

I left the bottom shelf in to keep the most perishable items cold while I went to get storage bins from Dollar General. I spent about $40 on several different sized bins, but I will be taking a few back that I didn't use . {I also bought a $3 picture frame for Rosie.} 

This is what happened right after I got back from Dollar General.



In the middle of being cleaned and organized!



When I got back, I washed and rinsed the shelves and left them to dry.

I don't have a picture of all the bins I used, but I only ended up having space for 7 of them, including one to keep lettuce in. 

After I wiped down the interior and door of the fridge, I places the main shelves in and back on the door. Then I took the big shelf to the tub to soak. 
I wiped off all the bottoms of the containers BEFORE putting them back in. I had to play around with the height of the shelves so that I could put the bins in certain spots. 

After retrieving the big shelf, I put away the rest of the food into the drawers, like fruits, veggies and meat. There were a few duplicate sauce containers so I poured them into 1 container. We ended up using a few of the sauce containers that only had a little left in them at dinner. 










When all was said and done, the fridge REEKED with organization and simplicity. There were SO many partial loves of bread that made the bread bin overflowing, but they will use them up now that they know what they have and where it is at. I finished around 6 pm. I worked on this project for 5 hours! But it was totally worth it, to see the fridge in better condition than it's been since they bought it.

Rosetta watching the snow fall.



I did this project for them {mostly my mom} because she suffers from Planter Fasciitis and cannot stand. I did not ask for any payment, only that my mom watch Rosie while I cleaned. Luckily, Rosie basically slept the whole time. I did not let my mom see the fridge until it was all done, because she had been skeptical of my methods. However, she seemed very exited when she saw the finished work. 

I stayed over for dinner. Right before I sat down to eat, I noticed that there were some items out of place in the fridge. I just hope that they keep it clean and organized and don't over stuff it again. It better stay clean or this red head will get mad! 

I guess I will perform organization maintenance checks on it when I visit. So that will be a least once a week.

Here is another before & after just for good measure.



and a list of where everything is placed



An early start to Spring Cleaning! What are your Spring Cleaning plans?
I think this is a good start!
Let me know what you think and what your plans are in the comments below!

Have a good night and sweet dreams!
 {I was just thinking about some good dreams I've had before and hope I have some good ones tonight!}



xoxo Miss Maully

No comments:

Post a Comment